- Would my child benefit from services from KARE 2 Communicate, LLC?
- What is the process by which my child will receive services?
- Does my child’s doctor play a role?
- Does insurance cover these services?
- How long will my child be in therapy?
- What kind of outcomes can I expect? How will my child benefit?
- What do I need to do as a parent or caregiver to make sure my child gets the most form his or her therapy?
- What does a speech therapy evaluation consist of and how long does it take?
- How is therapy at K2C different than therapy offered at school?
Does your child move, talk, learn, and eat like other children his or her age? Have teachers, physicians, or other caregivers expressed concerns about your child’s development? K2C staff can help you determine if speech therapy evaluation is needed. If you have questions or concerns, our therapists are available to help address them. If you would like to know more about our therapy services, call and talk to an experienced therapists in person!
To beginning therapy at K2C:
- Email or call us at firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 358-2185 or 919-493-1974. Our helpful office staff will ask you simple questions about the services you are looking for, as well as insurance information, and will schedule an evaluation appointment. Have your insurance card handy when you call! You will obtain a Parent Packet. Please fill it out and return it before your scheduled evaluation.
- Your evaluation appointment will include:
- Formal and informal evaluations
- Parent and child interviews
- Parent-therapist collaboration regarding your child’s current skills and challenges, and how K2C can help!
- Following the evaluation, your therapist will discuss recommendations and provide you with a copy of the evaluation report. If further therapy is recommended, your child will be seen at a frequency that is decided by you, your therapist, and your child’s physician, to address his/her needs in a fun and playful way during treatment and home activities. If therapy is not recommended, you and your child will be provided with ideas and suggestions to use at home and in the community.
K2C therapists will work with your child’s physician(s) to provide the best care and to better meet the established goals. Therapists will the doctor regularly regarding your child’s progress. Your child’s doctor plays a key role in beginning, continuing, and completing therapy services, by providing a prescription.
K2C is currently an in-network provider for Medicaid. Medicaid benefits will cover 100% of the payment for the evaluation and therapy. K2C will bill Medicaid directly for evaluations and therapy.
The frequency and duration of your child’s therapy is dependent on your child’s particular skills and challenges. To encourage rapid progress, your therapist will work with you to determine your therapy schedule, provide you with home activity ideas, and to discuss discharge plans.
Benefits for your child:
- Improved communication skills
- Improved functional life skills and readiness to learn and play
- Improved self-esteem and sense of self-worth
- Improved social skills, attention, and ability to participate in community activities
Benefits for you:
- Empowered parents and caregivers
- Increased understanding and awareness of your child’s strengths and challenges and how they impact their daily life
The collaborative relationship between the therapist and the parent helps to develop/facilitate:
- Functional and meaningful goals
- Home strategies
- Appropriate and timely referrals when necessary
- Beneficial community contacts with other providers and caregivers working with your child
- Consistently follow-through with your therapist’s home strategy recommendations
- Provide feedback to your therapist about progress and challenges
- Participate in therapy sessions as often as possible
- Keep scheduled appointments
- Ask questions and seek help when needed
- In most cases, the more involved the parent/caregivers are, the faster the child progresses
Each evaluation typically takes approximately 60 minutes. The evaluation process consists of formal and informal assessments, parent and child interviews, collaboration to develop a family-centered plan of care, and with permission, interfacing with your child’s other care providers when appropriate.
School therapy is generally conducted in a group setting which is especially effective for pragmatic skills; therapy in our private practice is one-on-one and individualized to your child’s specific needs. Therapy services at K2C will focus on the many roles of a child’s life within their home, school, and community activities to ensure communication as well as academic success. If your child receives therapy at school he/she may qualify for additional speech and language services based on the severity and need of their delay or disability through a private practice.